Before going to share IRS customer service phone numbers, I just want to write a little bit about Internal Revenue Service. Don’t worry, you will definitely find some useful phone numbers which help you find customer service representative easily. IRS stands for Internal Revenue Services, the revenue service of the United States federal government. The main responsibility of IRS is to collect taxes and administer the Internal Revenue Code. IRS provides tax assistance to taxpayers. IRS mainly exists to maximize tax revenue.
Question: What is IRS Toll-Free Number?
Answer: The toll-free phone number of IRS is (800) 829-1040 for individuals.
Ways to contact IRS
There are several ways to contact IRS customer services and it depends, whether you are an individual or a business. Before calling, prepare yourself to answer the questions asked by the representative.
If you’re calling about your own account:
You should have the following information before calling the IRS
- Your Social Security cards and birth dates.
- Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter
- Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
- Your prior-year tax return. It is required to verify your identity
- Copy of the tax return for which you’re calling about
- Any other letters or notices they sent you
IRS Phone Numbers
Here’s the complete list of customer service numbers. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.
- Customer service phone number for individuals is 800-829-1040
- Businesses, please use the following number 800-829-4933
- For People with hearing impairments: 800-829-4059 (TDD) See Tax Topic 102.
- Exempt organizations, retirement plan administrators, and government: 877-829-5500 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time)
- For Estate and gift 866-699-4083 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
IRS Customer Service Hours
- For Individuals Monday–Friday, 7:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m., local time
- For Businesses Monday–Friday, 7:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m., local time
- Refund Hotline Automated service is available 24/7
A comprehensive guide is available on their website. You can check if the answer to your problem is already listed. Go to the IRS contact page for more information. Contacting IRS customer service is not as hard as you think. Just dial (800) 829-1040 to reach IRS representative easily and quickly.
IRS customer service phone number given here can do the trick for you. Just start dialing 800-829-1040 on your phone and talk to someone who is given the responsibility by Internal Revenue Services (IRS) to assist you. You better note down the numbers just in case you need it in future.